VisaRite Home

Document Authentication for use in China

Document Authentication for China

Documents originated in US must be legalized by the Chinese Embassy or Chinese consulate in order to be used in China. This process is called document authentication. China is not a member of Hague Convention, therefore Apostille is not acceptable. The documents must first be authenticated by the State Authentication Office, then further authenticated by the Chinese Embassy or Chinese Consulate accordingly.

State authentication is sometimes referred to as a "stamp" or a "gold seal," it is actually a sealed certificate that confirms the authority of a public official, such as a notary public, town clerk, state official or Judge, to act in a particular capacity in connection with a document that he or she has signed. The authentication certificate will verify that the named individual and their position are a matter of record in the Secretary of the State's Office. The certificate will only be prepared if the official has in fact executed the document properly and can only be attached to a signed original or a sealed certified copy from a public record keeper, such as a Town Clerk.

Here is the outline of three major steps for document authentication for China

1) Notary: For non-government documents such as affidavit, power of attorney, bank letter, etc., a notary public must notarize the document first; For government documents such as birth certificates, good standing certificates, etc., you will need to obtain a certified copy from the state; notary is not required.

2) State Authentication: The State Authentication Office must certify the notary seal or the certified copy by adding a statement page with big state seal. Some states require county clerk to certify the notary seal first. Federal document and document issued in DC jurisdiction* will require further authentication from the US Department of State. Click here for state authentication sample.

3) Consulate Authentication: The Chinese Embassy or Consulate will verify signature and seal from the Secretary of State Office. Once verified, the Chinese Embassy or Consulate official will add the authentication seal and signature to the document and it will be authorized for use in China.

Type of documents can be authenticated include, but are not limited to:

VisaRite is specialized in assisting you to obtain document authentication from the Chinese Consulate and Embassy easily and quickly. In order for us to help you, you will need to have the documents authenticated by the relevant State Authentication Office (or US Department of State) first. US Department of State authentication is mandatory if document was originated in some states (see step 2 for details). Please follow the instruction below closely and complete all the steps listed before your mail your application over to us.

STEP 1 - Notarized by Local Notary Public
  • Non-government issued document should first be notarized by a Notary Public. The document should be signed in presence of the notary. The notary should add an acknowledge statement such as "Signed and sworn (or affirm) to before me this__________day of_______________, 20___." and complete with notary seal and signature.
  • State issued document such as vital record, certificate of corporation, etc doesn't need to be notarized. You should obtain a certified copy and skip step 1.
  • Chinese Consulate in San Francisco (covering Alaska, Northern California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington) requires all attached pages to be stamped with the same notary seal, if it is a multiple paged document.
FAQs How to obtain a notarize copy of your document such as passport ?
STEP 2 - Authenticated by the Secretary of State
  • Every document should be further authenticated separately by the Secretary of State by adding a cover statement with a designated big seal, signature and wording recognized by Chinese Consulate.
  • Once authenticated, the staple(s) must not be removed, or it will invalidate the document.
  • When you submit the document to secretary of your state, please indicate the document will be used in China. The document should be authenticated. Apostille is not recognized in China. It should be Authentication instead of Apostille.
  • Federal document and document issued in DC jurisdiction must be further authenticated by the US Department of State (Federal level) after authentication by your state's secretary office (state level). States under DC jurisdiction include Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming and Washington DC.
  • Click here for state level certification sample
  • Click here for state authentication office
STEP 3 - Authentication Application Form (G1)

Please fill out "Authentication Application Form (G1)" on your computer, print a hard copy and sign in section 8 and below.

Q: What should I fill in "Supporting documents and Copies of Legalization" section?
A: It simply means how many set of documents you need for authentication. If you only have 1 document, simply type in "1 ORIGINAL AND 1 PHOTOCOPY". You will need to pay for each document that needs authentication.
How to fill out G1 form Click here to find out how to fill out the Authentication Application Form correctly.

STEP 4 - Photocopy of Applicant's ID
STEP 5 - Business Formation Document

If the document to be authenticated is for business purpose, a photocopy of the business filling or business evidence document is also required. Acceptable documents include: Certificate of Good Standing, Certificate of Incorporation, Certificate of Organization, Certificate of Formation, etc. California commercial document authentication needs to provide Statement of Information as business evidence. Skip it, in case of personal document.

STEP 6 - Select a Service The authentication fees vary depending on type of the documents and level of service

authentication Commercial Documents (Documents regarding business, commerce, trade, etc. such as: Business license, Certificate of Good Standing, labor agreement, etc.):

authentication Civil Documents (Such as: Adoption, Birth/Death/Marriage Certificate, Affidavit of Single Status, Personal Declaration, Personal Real Estate Transaction, Inheritance, Foster Care, Name Change Order, etc. )


  • Processing time means the time Chinese Consulate needs to process your application and is based on business days. First day of receiving is not processing day. Weekend and holiday doesn't count.

Forms of Payment:

  • Payment needs to be in forms of money order, cashiers check, certified check, company check or cash. Company check may need a few extra days to clear. Please make check or money order payable to VisaRite Service. Personal check is not accepted.
  • You may also pay by credit card. Credit card payment is subject to 3% surcharge.
  • If you have paid online, please include a copy of payment confirmation with your application. Do not send in the credit card payment authorization form if you have paid online.
  • Return shipping fee listed is for return addresses within the continental U.S. If your return address is in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or Canada, please include an extra extended delivery area fee of $10.00 per order. If you need to ship back to other international address, additional fee and time is needed, please call for detail.
STEP 7 - Complete Service Request Form

Click here for Service Request Form

STEP 8 - Send the Application Package to VisaRite Service
Put all following items together in one package
  • The original notarized and authenticated document, and a photo copy of each single page. You may fold page when making copies. Do not unstaple, or it will invalidate the document.
  • One clearly and completely filled "Application Form for Authentication ".
  • Copy of the passport or photo ID of the applicant.
  • In cases of commercial authentication, a copy of the company's license or proof of good standing of the company are required.
  • Check or money order payable to VisaRite Service to cover the total cost.
Please send your application with all required items listed above by FedEx, UPS, DHL, Express Mail, register mail or other traceable courier service to:

VisaRite Service Center
460 Van Emburgh Ave
Ridgewood, NJ 07450
Tel: (201) 445-7088