VisaRite Home

Proof of Custody

  If one parent claims custody of the child getting a passport please provide proof of custody in the form of:  
    Official US government Birth Certificate listing only applying parent, or
  Foreign Birth Certificate (& official translation) listing only applying parent, or
  FS-240 or DS-1350 listing only the applying parent, or
  Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order), or
  Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent), or
  Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child, or
  Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent, or
  Death certificate of non-applying parent.
  NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit a signed statement explaining why the non-applying parent/guardian’s consent cannot be obtained.