How to Authenticate Diploma for use in China
US diploma must be legalized by the Chinese Embassy or Chinese Consulate in order to be used in China. This process is called authentication. Here is the outline of three major steps for diploma authentication for use in China
1) Notarize as true copy or original
2) Secretary of State Authentication
3) Consulate Authentication
VisaRite is specialized in assisting you to obtain authentication from the Chinese Consulate and Embassy easily and quickly. In order for us to help you, you will need to have the documents authenticated by the relevant Secretary of State Office (or US Department of State) first. Pease read the detail instruction carefully and complete all the steps below before you mail your application over to us.
1 - Notarized by a Notary Public
The first step is to notarize the diploma either as original or true copy with two statements: one declaration statement and one acknowledge statement.
Chinese Consulate routinely rejects diploma, if it only bears one statement. The notarized diploma needs to have both statements together. The declaration statement should be from either the holder or school registrar. The acknowledge statement should be from a notary. The two statements can be typed or written on the diploma or on a separate paper attached to the diploma.
The declaration statement can be something like this "I declare this (the attached) is (my true original diploma) or (a true, exact and unaltered photocopy of my diploma)". The statement should be signed in presence of the notary. The notary should add an acknowledge statement such as "Signed and sworn (or affirm) to before me this__________day of_______________, 20___." and complete with notary seal and signature. Click here for a sample notarized diploma by holder or sample notarized diploma by registrar.
- Chinese Consulate in Chicago (covering Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin) only accepts original diploma for authentication. If your diploma is from other states, you may notarize a photocopy of it.
- Chinese Consulate in San Francisco (covering Alaska, Northern California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington): School registrar can only declare original (or certified copy, not photocopy of) diploma for authentication; Diploma holder can only declare photocopy of diploma. If the declaration statement is written from the school registrar, a copy of the school registrar's business card is required. If notary statement is attached on a separate paper, please make sure the notary also stamp the diploma with a notary seal.
- Chinese Embassy in DC (covering Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming and Washington DC.) may refuse application, if notary commission expires in 6 months.
Please use letter size version diploma whenever possible, larger size version may need to be fold into regular size to be accepted.
FAQs: Q1: My diploma was issued in MA, right now I'm in FL, what can I do?
2 - Authenticated by the Secretary of State
- The notarized diploma should be further authenticated by the Secretary
of State by adding a cover statement with a designated big seal, signature and wording recognized by Chinese Consulate. Click here for state authentication sample.
- Once authenticated, the staple(s) or rivet
must not be removed, or it will invalidate the document.
- When you submit it to secretary of your state, please indicate
the document will be used in China. The document should be authenticated not Apostilled. Apostille is not recognized in China.
- Diploma authenticated in some states must be further authenticated by the US Department of State. These states include Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming and Washington DC.
- Click here for state authentication office
3 - Authentication Application Form (G1)
4 - Photocopy of Applicant's ID
Photocopy of applicant's passport. Please make a clear photocopy of your passport. Do not shrink or enlarge the size. Use only letter size paper. Do not cut to smaller size.
5 - Select a Service The authentication
fees vary depending on level of service
- Regular 7-15 business days processing: US$119.00/per document
Consular Fee: $25.00 + Service Fee: $65.00 + Return shipping fee:
(Service fee is reduced to $50 for each additional document, total for each additional document is $75, if the documents can be processed in the same jurisdiction.)
- Express 5-6 business days processing: US$159.00/per document (Not available for Chinese Embassy Jurisdiction)
Consular Fee: $45.00 + Service Fee: $85.00 + Return shipping fee:
(Service fee is reduced to $70 for each additional document, total for each additional document is $115, if the documents can be processed in the same jurisdiction.)
- Processing time means the time Chinese Consulate needs to process your application. First day of receiving is not processing day. Weekend and holiday doesn't count.
- Additional shipping fee applies, if shipping to Alaska and anywhere other than continental USA
- Express Service is suspended for Chinese Embassy in DC, which covers Washington DC, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.
Forms of Payment:
- Payment needs to be in forms of money order, cashiers check, bank check,
certified check, company check or cash. Company check may need a few extra days to clear. Please make check or money order
payable to VisaRite Service. Personal check or credit card payment
is not accepted.
- Fee reduction are valid for additional documents issued in the same state.
STEP 6 - Complete Service Request Form
Click here for Service
- Please specify your service level and return address by submitting the service request form online.
- Please provide email address and phone so that confirmation and status update can be sent to you during the process.
- Please include one copy of service request confirmation with the documents you ship to us and keep one copy for your record.
STEP 7 - Send the Application Package to VisaRite Service
Put all following items together in one package
- Chinese Consulate will keep a photocopy of your diploma and authentication certificate on file. Please make a photocopy of each single page including the notarized diploma, state authentication page. You may fold page when making copies. Do not unstaple. IMPORTANT! The staple can not be removed or it will invalidate the document.
- One clearly and completely filled "Application Form for Authentication ".
- Copy of the passport or photo ID of the applicant.
- Check or money order payable to VisaRite Service Inc to cover the total cost.
Please send your application with all required
items listed above by FedEx
register mail or other traceable courier service to:
VisaRite Service Center
460 Van Emburgh Ave
Ridgewood, NJ 07450
Tel: (201) 445-7088
The processing time is Consulate processing time and doesn't include the
return shipping time. First day of receiving is not processing day.